I’m a summer girl, through and through. I am well and truly solar powered, so when the winter chills comes knocking on my door I tend to go into hibernation. I could easily migrate north for the winter months living a year round summer, but alas it is not to be….so instead I must force myself to look at the positives that the cooler months of the year bring. Most of those positives for me are centred around food. Thick and hearty nourishing stews, creative soups, hot chai almond milk, warm apple crumble and baked dinners. Oh, and of course, Coco Banana (paleo) Porridge. It’s not just any porridge, with its thick creamy consistency, a hint of crunch from the nut combo and a lovely natural sweetness from the bananas and cinnamon, this breakfast is a sure fire way to warm the belly and nourish the soul.
This porridge, unlike traditional porridges, is gluten, grain, dairy and refined sugar free, which means we are not weighing our digestive system down leading us to feel heavy and bloated. Instead this porridge with work to warm you from the inside, whilst leaving you feeling refreshed and energised for the day ahead. Made with the goodness of activated nuts, coconut milk, bananas and cinnamon this brekkie will leave you that little bit happier about the winter chill approaching, even those of us that are truly devoted summer seekers. That’s right peeps, looking for those positives!
For those that are time poor, and can’t find a spare 5 minutes in the morning to cook this recipe on the stovetop, you can cut some corners with this recipe by using the microwave (although I am not a fan of this style of cooking) and consider using raw rather than activated nuts which will save you from having to organise the soaking of the nuts the night before. That being said, if you can spare the extra time to soak the nuts for this recipe the night before and you can use a cook top to warm the porridge you will reap far greater nutritional benefit from this brekkie dish as soaking the nuts breaks down the phytic acid around the outer shell of the nuts which acts as an anti-nutrient and can wreak havoc on sensitive digestive tracts and the jury is still out regarding microwave cooking and its effects on the nutrient content of foods. Worth the time to do it right, in my mind.
So here you go….Coco Banana Porridge, a sure-fire way to make you feel more positive about the chilly winter months fast approaching. Wake up and start your day with happiness.
This recipe creates enough for 4 servings.
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup almonds
- ½ cup pecans
- 1 very ripe banana
- 2 cups coconut milk (or almond, your preference)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Dash of sea salt for soaking water
- Soak nuts in lightly salted water overnight.
- In the morning, rinse the nuts 2-3 times following soaking, until the water runs clear.
- Add nuts, banana, milk and cinnamon to your food processor and blend to the desired consistency. I like mine slight chunky.
- Pour blended mix into a small saucepan and heat on medium heat until thickened. The longer you leave it the thicker and creamier it will become. 5 minutes usually does the trick. If you choose the microwave option you will only need to put it on for 90 seconds.
- Divide the mixture into 4 bowls and drizzle with coconut yoghurt, maple syrup and some more crushed nuts or dash of cinnamon.
- Now curl up near the heater with your uggies on and enjoy the little pleasures that winter can bring.