So Christmas day has come and gone, and now, if you are anything like our family, you are left with copious amount of leftovers right? I don’t know about you, but I am totally inspired by leftovers. I love making new and interesting flavour combinations using whatever is in the fridge. And this time of year lends itself to countless leftover ham inspired recipes seeing as though we tend to buy (or win) a whole leg of ham for Chrissie day celebrations, only to make a small impression on the leg on the big day and then we tend to spend significant portions of our time trying to fit the damn thing in the fridge with all the other leftovers after the day’s festivities have long drawn to a close, sound familiar.
Well, along with your typical ham and salad sandwiches, ham and cheese omelettes, ham and vegetable quiche, ham and pea soup, ham on toast, green eggs and ham……etc…..I have a pretty exciting, summer fresh, ham inspired recipe for you to add to your leftover repertoire this year to make leftover ham that little bit more appealing. This recipe encompasses all of the classic tastes of an Aussie summer, in a light, fresh and tasty salad. Ham, mango, avocado and walnuts layered on top of a crispy, fresh lettuce base, topped with a zingy citrus dressing makes for a lovely lunch or light dinner option. And let’s be honest, who doesn’t need a nice light dinner option around this time of year?
What I particularly love about this salad is that it offers us a great combination of proteins, healthy fats and carbohydrates to keep us feeling satisfied and full for ages. Oh, and it takes only minutes to put together. Love that too.
So here you go, add this one to your leftover recipe book and enjoy the tastes of summer this holiday period.
Ham, Mango and Walnut Salad
- 3 thick cut (1cm) slices of ham (diced into small pieces)
- 2 avocados (peeled and sliced)
- 2 mangos (peeled and sliced)
- ½ cup walnuts (whole)
- 1 lettuce (I like to use mignottete)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp djorn mustard
- 1 tbsp thickened cream (optional)
- Remove lettuce core and spread whole lettuce leaves over the bottom of a flat serving dish
- Slice mango and arrange evenly on top of lettuce
- Slice avocado and arrange on top of the mango
- Dice ham and sprinkle evenly over the top of the mango
- Scatter whole walnuts over the rest of the salad
- To make the dressing, combine all ingredients in a small screw top glass jar and shake well to combine.
- Wait until ready to serve to dress.