The combination of dried figs and sunflower seeds in these cookies create a delightful soft chewy centred cookie with a crunchy crust. Perfect for school lunchboxes as they provide a boost of energy along with protein and fats from the seeds to keep the energy going for longer. The addition of cinnamon in these cookies also assists to stabilise blood sugars as well as adding a delish hint of spice. These cookies are gluten free, dairy free, egg free, nut free and refined sugar free making them suitable for just about anyone.
No figs on hand, no sweat, you can substitute the dried figs with any dried fruit of your choice….apricots, apples, dates….whatever floats your boat.
Just a quick word of warning when cooking with dried fruit. Take care to find dried fruits that are not treated with preservative 220 as this preservative can cause behavioural and allergy issues for some. Go for organic dried fruit wherever possible for this recipe.
Recipe makes 8 cookies
- 6 plump medjool dates
- 1/2 cup dried figs (6)
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C and line a tray with baking paper.
- Place all ingredients into your food processor and blend until well combined. Try not to over blend as they will become oily.
- Roll teaspoons of the cookie dough into balls and flatten slightly using the back of a fork.
- Bake for 15 minutes until slightly browned around the edges.
- Allow to cool completely before devouring.