Makes 10 balls
- 1 Cup dried dates
- 1 Cup of skinless toasted hazelnuts
- 2 Teaspoons raw cocao
- 1/2 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 whole roasted hazelnuts (for the centres)
- 1/4 Cup coconut oil
- 1/4 Cup raw cocao
- 2 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 Cup skinless hazelnuts – crushed (for the coating)
- Place dates in a bowl, cover with warm water and leave to soak for 5 minutes before straining. In the meantime, toast the hazelnuts for both the filling and coating in a moderate oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove hazelnuts from oven and leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Place hazelnuts in the food processor and chop finely.
- Put half a cup of the hazelnuts aside in a bowl to use later before adding the rest of the filling ingredients to the food processor.
- Blend at a high speed until chopped and well combined.
- Roll into balls, adding a whole hazelnut to the middle of the ball, and place in the fridge to chill while you make the chocolate layer.
- Mix the coconut oil (melted), raw cocao and maple syrup together in a bowl.
- Remove balls from the fridge, roll in chocolate and then roll in the extra chopped hazelnuts that you prepared earlier.
- Let the balls sit to set slightly and then re-roll in more chocolate for the final layer.
- Place balls in the freezer until ready to eat.