Fresh super sweet strawberries really lift these little muffins to another world and inclusion of the berries add to the kidlets fruit and vege count for the day…..bonus!
Makes 20-22 mini muffins or 10-12 large muffins
- 4 large strawberries (diced into little chunks)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 6 organic eggs
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup coconut flour (sifted to remove lumps)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda (GF)
- 1/4 sea salt
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- In a small bowl, mix all dry ingredients together and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs and mix in melted coconut oil, honey and vanilla. Add wet mixture to to dry ingredients and mix well. It will thicken quickly as you are stirring as the coconut flour absorbs the oil and honey mix. Let sit for 3 minutes to allow the flour to absorb the liquid and then gently fold through the berries and shredded coconut. Go gently when folding them through as you don’t want them to become mushy in the process.
- The mixture will look quite dry at this stage. Take a taste and make sure you are happy with the flavour. Add extra sweetness (honey) if you need to, but be mindful that the berries will sweeten further as they bake.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin pan. Fill each muffin to the desired consistency. Despite the inclusion of the baking soda, the muffins won’t rise much during cooking, so don’t be afraid to fill them right up, and make sure they have some bits of coconut and strawberries at the top of the muffin to make them look pretty.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let muffins cool before serving (if you can bear it).
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator.