One of our favourite treats at the moment are Strawberries and Cream popsicles. We love the combination of the sweet strawberries and creamy coconut combined with the goodness of chia seeds and cashews. It’s summer in a popsicle. Yum.
The strawberries and cream is our fav, there are also other delicious flavour combos that come a close second, third and fourth in the winners stakes – think mango and coconut, peaches and cream and pomegranate and macadamia popsicles. All delish. All simple easy to make using the same basic recipe. So use whatever fresh summer fruit you have on hand to make a variety of popsicles and find your family’s favourite this summer.
What we love about these popsicles is not only the fact they taste divine, but they are also really tops for the kids in terms of nutrition. Rather than being laden with sugar and artificial colours and flavours these ice creams are flavoured instead with real food (fruit) and sweetened by the natural sweetness of coconut cream and fructose free rice malt syrup. The chia seeds also provide a good source of omega-3 and the nuts provide good healthy fats and protein to keep everyone full until dinner time rolls around.
So here you have it, our recipe for Strawberries and Cream popsicles – Enjoy!
Makes 6 popsicles
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp rice malt syrup (or maple syrup)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of cashews (soaked for 15 minutes then rinsed and drained)
- 3 teaspoons of chia seeds
- 2-3 strawberries (sliced finely)
1. Slice the berries into small bite sized pieces and place them in the popsicle moulds
2. Place the coconut milk, rice malt syrup, cashews, vanilla and chia seeds, along with 1/4 cup of water into a mini food processor or blender and whiz it up to combine all ingredients
3. Pour mixture into popsicle moulds, place sticks in the top of each mould and place in the freezer to set for 4-5 hours.